Skip to content ↓
Shenley Brook End School

Shenley Brook End School

Media and Film Studies

Ethos

Media and Film Studies are two exciting option subjects offered at GCSE. Film studies is offered as an A level. They are analytical, reflective and creative subjects that encourage critical and discriminatory thinking – both skills highly valued by universities and employers.  Both Media and Film Studies are intellectually and conceptually demanding subjects that can make significant demands of students, but at the same time they are highly accessible and great fun to study.

Media and Film Studies encourage students to become more confident and critical in their digital consumption; teaching them how to deconstruct and decode media and film texts and appreciate how they affect viewers and audiences.

Media and Film Studies fit particularly well alongside subjects like English, Drama, Art, Business, Psychology, Sociology and Humanities, but also offer breadth and contrast next to subjects like Maths, ICT the Sciences.  If you have an interest in technology, news, popular culture, film and literature then Media and Film Studies is for you.  Likewise, if you are considering a career or university course in the creative or liberal arts then either of the subjects would be a good foundation.

  • Media and Film Team Staff
  • Lead Teacher for Film & Media Studies – Mr M Quin
  • Film and Media Teachers – Mrs N Chambers, Mrs J Lovell, Mrs S Mayer, Mr J Stephens and Mrs M Brooker
 
Facilities

Media Studies is taught in a specialist ICT suite within the English Department.  Students have access to classroom computers and the schools additional ICT resources, including laptops and iPads.  Students are also encouraged to bring their own device to certain lessons, where they may use their smartphones or tablets to take photographs, record audio or video or access applications – where the curriculum demands it. 

The department has an extensive stock of film and visual media resources, from classic movies through to the latest releases and multi-media resources.  There are also some video cameras and tripods for production work and a range of software available for video and sound editing to professional standards.

Additional media and film resources are placed on the school network, and on the school’s VLE – Moodle, for students to access at any time. Set films and further viewing can be accessed through ClickView.

 
Key Stage 4
Media Studies – Year 9

The Year 9 Media Studies course offers students an introduction into the world of media education. 

Students complete scaled-down versions of the GCSE content whilst being encouraged to be creative and explore a range of media forms, including:

  • Television drama, TV production and the TV industry
  • The world of advertising
  • Online, printed and broadcast journalism
  • Digital photography
  • Websites
Media Studies – Years 10 and 11

Following their introductory year, students in Years 10 and 11 follow the Eduqas Media Studies GCSE specification. This is a two-year, linear GCSE course with two, 90 minute exams at the end of Year 11 and a practical coursework project to complete in Year 10.  The coursework brief is prescribed each year by the exam board and will be different each year.  The coursework is worth 30% of the students’ total mark, whilst the exams are worth 70%. 

Students will study a range of interesting topics for their exams, including:

  • The world of television – with a case study on crime drama
  • The music industry – including the use of music videos and online media
  • Print media such as adverts, newspapers, magazines, film posters.
Films Studies – Year 9

The Year 9 Film Studies course offers students an introduction into film analysis and production.  

Students complete scaled-down versions of the GCSE content whilst being encouraged to be creative and explore a range of enjoyable and challenging films. Such as:

  • Mainstream and Indie Cinema
  • Hollywood film Industry
  • British and World Cinema
Film Studies - Year 10 and 11

Following their introductory year, students in Years 10 and 11 follow the Eduqas Film Studies GCSE specification. This is a two-year, linear GCSE course with two, 90 minute exams at the end of Year 11 and a coursework project to complete in Year 10.  The coursework is worth 30% of the students’ total mark and students complete either a screenplay or short film. The exams are worth 70%. 

Students will study a range of interesting topics for their exams, including:

  • Mainstream Classic and Modern Hollywood Film
  • US Indie Film
  • Global film in English and in other languages
  • Contemporary UK films
 
Sixth Form
Film Studies – Year 12

Students study the Eduqas AS level Film Studies specification.  Students are required to sit two exams at the end of the year worth 70% of the total mark, and submit a screenplay for coursework worth the remaining 30%.

The Film Studies course in Year 12 offers students a unique opportunity to study the medium of film, and cover:

  • Two Mainstream films from the Classic and New Hollywood eras
  • Contemporary American independent films – produced after 2010
  • Two recent British films
  • A European, foreign-language film

Assessment

  • Students sit two final exams – the first on their three American films and the second on their British and European films.
  • Students make an extended screenplay of their own, demonstrating their understanding of film language and production. (1200-1400 words).  This is followed up by an evaluative analysis, comparing their screenplay to professionally produced films and screenplays. (1000- 1250 words)
Film Studies – Year 13

Students study the Eduqas A level Film Studies specification.  Students are required to sit two exams at the end of the year worth 70% of the total mark and submit a film production worth the remaining 30%.

In addition to the films studies in year 12, students also study:

  • Documentary film
  • Contemporary American mainstream– produced after 2010
  • A global foreign-language film
  • Silent cinema
  • Experimental cinema

Assessment

Students sit two final exams.  The first paper is based on their Hollywood, Modern American and British films.  The second exam is based on their study of Global, Documentary, Silent and experimental films. 

Students make a short film of between four and five minutes Or Write a screenplay for a short film of 1600-1800 words, accompanied by a digitally photographed storyboard to reflect two minutes of screen time. Both are accompanied by an evaluative analysis (1600 - 1800 words).

 
Extended Learning

Students enjoy a number of contrasting and stimulating films as part of the curriculum and are encouraged to watch a variety of films outside of school. Viewing and reading lists are provided for students, compete with individual recommendations to help them broaden their cinematic knowledge.  Students are encouraged to share their viewing experiences and discuss their critical viewpoints with their peers.  New films and forthcoming collaborations are also discussed in lessons, to keep students’ fingers on the pulse of trends and new projects in the film industry.